Saturday, May 16, 2020

WHY DOCTORS ARE LOUSY INVESTORS?

WHY DOCTORS ARE LOUSY INVESTORS?


Doctors are always lousy investors, after working for so many years,  I notice a few obvious common behaviour doctors are sharing, these characters might explain the reason behind why doctors are lousy investors,

1) Doctors are non-risk takers
We do things according to procedure and statistics, doctors only perform certain surgical procedures and prescribe certain medications based on best clinical evidence and trials. Doctors get used to sticking to rules and regulations, we do not take risks. Investing needs risk-taking and you might be losing money which is unacceptable to a lot of doctors.

2) Doctors are too busy to handle their finances
Doctors are busy people. We handle patients' complaints, do our best to treat them, We spend too much of time thinking of how to make our patients recover. Unfortunately we are not always being appreciated by patients nor their family members. We are too busy looking at our finances. Frankly, I personally do not look at whether patients pay me or not. During this MCO period in Malaysia, since I have more time and finally look at my revenue statement hospital sends me every month, I am shocked to know that patients owe me hundreds of thousands since 2016.

3) We think we can make it
Doctors always think that if we work hard, we will be able to retire in one day. We are well above average but the truth is, a lot of doctors are broke even though they are high earners. Many of my friends are getting fat cheques every month but they are big spenders as well. They can not retire because they are basically living paycheck by paycheck like a lot of Malaysians and Singaporeans.

Some doctors are still working at the age of 70 years old, I doubt that they love their jobs, they keep working because they just can't retire. Doctors lives are stressful, and I hope that I can retire soon and work part-time.


No comments: